Interactive fraction bars are a wonderful tool to help students grow their understanding of fractions. This page includes an introduction to the fraction bars on Polypad, some ideas to use them with students, as well as additional resources.
What is a Fraction Bar?
A fraction bar is a rectangular manipulative that represents a whole or parts of a whole. A variety of options are available on Polypad for manipulating fraction bars.
Use the settings menu to access a variety of options for labelling fraction bars.
How to Use Fraction Bars
The Mathigon Lesson Plan page contains a number of activities and lesson plans for using fraction bars:
- Comparing Fractions (Grades 4 - 7)
- Fraction Addition and Subtraction (Grades 3 - 6)
- Fraction Division (Grades 5 - 7)
- Ratios and Blending Colors of Fraction Bars (Grade 3 - 8)
- Fraction Operations Game (Grades 3 - 5)
- Egyptian Fraction Exploration (Grades 3 - 8)
Additional Resources for Fraction Bars
Blank Fraction Bars
Fraction Bar Chart
There are a number of resources for learning more about using Polypad with students: